Henry Roediger [ Montana State University ] Henry L. “Roddy” Roediger III rose to prominence with his studies of why and how people develop False Memories. He received his Doctorate from Yale University and is currently a Professor of Psychology at Washington University in St. Louis, Missouri.
Ten Benefits of Testing
- Retrieval aids later retention.
- Testing identifies gaps in knowledge.
- Testing causes students to learn more from the next learning episode.
- Testing produces better organization of knowledge.
- Testing improves the transfer of knowledge to new concepts.
- Testing can facilitate retrieval of knowledge that was not tested.
- Testing improves meta-cognitive monitoring.
- Testing prevents interference from prior material when learning new material.
- Testing provides feedback to instructors.
- Frequent testing encourages students to study.